Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Day 22: Tuesday

I took the pup out this morning and he peed AND pooped and it only took about 20 minutes. I fed him two dried liver treats each time, maybe he's getting the point.

Mark is working this afternoon which means Charlie will be left alone for a few hours... I hope he doesn't get out of his cage again... Mark texted me this link: http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/separation-anxiety-in-dogs.html which I read. I replied that I didn't notice Charlie getting antsy when we got our keys or put our shoes on, he replied that the dog had been whining since I left. Ohhhnoooo. So I'm going to start working with him in that by locking him in his cage and leaving the bedroom for a few seconds then returning. Each time you should extend the amount of time youre gone. I'm also going to wait 10 minutes before acknowledging him when I get home. I hate thinking about him being sad and lonely :( I suggested we get a land line and an answering machine so we can leave him messages when we are gone. Hahahaha. I think it's a fantastic idea!! We'd also like to set up a camcorder to see how he's breaking out of the cage, that little rascal!

Mark got home before I did and confirmed that Charles did not escape from his cage today, but it was pushed a foot away from the wall. Whatever he was trying to do in there didn't get him out. Mark bought carabiners (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carabiner) to hook around the joints and doors. He shouldn't be able to escape this!

Charlie has been acting very distant tonight, like he's angry with us for leaving him. His shoulders are hunched over and his head is low. He ate his dinner fine, but something is wrong. Mark thinks he is just tired from trying to escape the cage.

He worked with Charlie for about an hour trying to teach him how to use and orange "smart toy". Its an orange textured rubber tube to put treats in. There are holes at either end with rubber lips, so the treats don't just fall out. It's supposed to keep the dog occupied. You can put any small dry treats or even peanut butter inside. It's been laying around the apartment in various places and Charlie hasn't been interested in it at all. But tonight he was starting to understand how it works. I think once he figures it out, he will be occupied for a while during his alone time in the cage.

Mark was holding him for a little while and he wouldn't eat a treat from me :( he took it, but it just stuck to his lips. Please see below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews