Saturday, January 26, 2013

Road trip success!

Forgot to check in the the other day, but we successfully took Charlie for a ride in the car and he didn't puke! This. Is. Huge. Last weekend we went to Marks sisters for dinner and wanted to bring little Charles along. We gave him a whole Dramamine in a few pieces of cheese. I love tricking him like that. Lol. Sucka!!

Then we took him out for a walk and I made him walk past the cars, really close to them. I could tell he was like "What's going on? Why are you making me walk so close to the cars, lady?" Then we took him over to our car (oh, did I mention we got a car? WE GOT A CAR!!!!!) and walked him around it. And I made him lay down next to the open door to the back seat and Mark was situating the plastic on the seat, just in cases. He was very uncomfortable and I was trying to do what Caesar does, where he uses his hand & fingers to mimic a dogs mouth on Charles neck, to show him that I'm in charge. His poor little legs were shaking. It was adorable but I felt bad for him. And at the same time, I know he's being irrational. He's not in any danger by being in the car. He just needs to get used to that. Oh, we also had the Thunder Shirt on him, which usually keeps him pretty calm.

So on top of the Dramamine and Thunder Shirt, Mark sat in the back seat with him et voila! No throwing up.

The ride home, we basically did the same thing and I sat in the back while Mark drove. And no throwing up!

We do want to work with him on this. The first step is to get him to jump into the car on his own... That will be a major step towards his recovery. We know it will take time and its something we will definitely work towards because we want to go on lots of trips like camping an to the beach and cross country! And we all know there's no way you can take a pukey dog cross country.

Oh, and I was home sick the other day and this little guy cuddled with me on the couch:



These are photos of Mark's youngest niece playing with Charlie. And in the last image, Daisy stuck her head in :)










No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews